It was "cold" in Houston for one whole day....meaning I think the temps were less than 80, HA! Plus, I actually probably just needed to clean out my refrigerator. This all vegan broccoli soup is perfect to make in a big batch to freeze or for lunches!
- 2 tbs avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heads broccoli or 2 bags frozen broccoli
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 3 tbs nutritional yeast
- 3 tbs arrowroot powder
- 4 cup vegetable stock, (reserve 1/4 cup for arrowroot mixture)
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (I usually scrape the top of the cream from a can of coconut milk)
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan shredded cheese for topping
First, decide how you want the consistency of your soup. If you like it a bit chunky, cut everything how you want it first. If you want your soup to be much more creamy and smooth, you can just basic chop and blend the ingredients later. Deciding the chunk level first is the best way to do it!
Grab a large stock pot or sauce pan. Pour in avocado oil and heat over medium. Sauté the onion, garlic, and carrots for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant without burning. Add the chopped broccoli and sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
Add stock (except 1/4 c reserved for arrowroot mixture), nutritional yeast, dairy free milk, and coconut cream. Mix well. Mix reserved broth and arrowroot powder. Gently pour and mix well.
Let simmer for 15 minutes.
Top with vegan cheese, parsley, red pepper flakes, or throw in some simple mills crackers for some extra crunch!