Just a quick reminder there are no actual oranges in this version of chili, it's purely based on color! Eating the color orange gives you more vitamin C and can help with your immune system, plus, most of the things in this chili that are orange are also in season!
- 1 package sugar free bacon (love Pedersons) - omit for vegan/vegetarian
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb pasture raised ground beef (omit for vegan/vegetarian, sub orange lentils or beans!)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp dried cilantro
- 1 can organic pumpkin puree
- 2 1/2 cups beef bone broth (use veggie broth for vegan/vegetarian)
- 2 tbs coconut aminos
Use a large stock pot, I love my Le Creuset dutch oven for these big stews! Dice bacon and cook over medium heat. I left the bacon in the pan when cooking the rest of the meal, but you can remove and add back in later if you want your bacon to stay crispy.
If not using bacon start here and add avocado oil to pan and cook onions and garlic until translucent. Then add carrots and sweet potatoes and cook about 8 minutes.
If using ground beef add here (if using lentils or beans add in when you add the stock). Be sure to brown the meat using a wooden spoon! Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, salt, and pepper.
Add pumpkin puree, broth, coconut aminos (add lentils and/or bacon here).
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.
We like to eat our chili with chips and cheese, Violife is THE BEST vegan cheese I've found. Also add a pop of color with avocado and green onions!