Sausage & Squash GF Pasta (GF, DF - Can make Vegan)
When I say you can make this vegan, I highly suggest using mushrooms instead of sausage or you can get the beyond meat sausage if you are into that.
I bought WAY too many squash in my recent grocery order so sorry family, we are eating all things squash for like two weeks. Whoopsies. However, I will say this was a huge family hit!
This recipe is an adaptation of one I found on Pinterest!
- 1 Box GF pasta, cooked according to directions on box. I prefer Jovial GF Pasta
- 2 - 3 tbs oil (avocado or olive)
- 1 lb ground sausage ( Feel free to use 1 to 1 1/2 cup mushroom if making vegan)
- 3 tbs fresh sage, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 fall squash (acorn or butternut - peeled) seeded and cut into small cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 c vegan parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley for garnish
Cook pasta according to directions on box, saving 1 cup pasta water. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and break sausage into smaller chunks. Add allspice, nutmeg, sage, and red pepper flakes. Cook until browned. (If you are using mushroom, sauté with spices.)
Add onions, garlic, squash, and season with salt and pepper, stir for a few minutes until veggies begin to soften. Add white wine, cover, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Add cooked pasta and 1 cup pasta water to sausage and veggie mixture, along with parmesan. Stir and serve warm!